Social media has left people in frenzy. There would not be a single soul on the face of the earth who has not been exposed to the fancy world of social media. People are obsessed with Instagram just like other popular social media apps. However, there may be times when they would want to take some break from it. In this post, we are going to teach you how to delete Instagram account.
Before we tell you how to delete Instagram account, we need to take you back to knowing Instagram is all about, how it went on to become the world’s biggest photo-sharing app and what happens when people tend to overuse it.
Instagram – the King of Social Media
Instagram is one of the widely popular photo-sharing apps with over 800 million users across the globe. Its popularity increased tenfold after Facebook acquired it, turning it into one of the most-used social media apps ever.
Instagram was the first of a kind social media app that offered only a photo-sharing feature. Later on, it allowed users to upload videos as well. However, it was only when Instagram introduced the stories feature into its platform, following the footsteps of Snapchat, it was considered the world’s best social media app.
In fact, the stories feature launched by Instagram became so prevalent that it went on to surpass the ever-growing sales of Snapchat, affecting the latter’s popularity among the audience. The majority of people discarded using Snapchat as their go-to photo/video sharing app and turned to Instagram to keep their friends and followers updated with their daily life activities.
Even though a thousand of photo-sharing apps have made their way into the world of social media, there is not a single one has been able to beat Instagram’s worth and popularity.
Overuse of Social Media and its Effects
Undoubtedly, most of social media apps, including Snapchat, have made people addicted to them, making them use the apps all day along while keeping the other important tasks at bay. Like every other thing related to technology, social media has its own set of pros and cons.
Adults do have a tendency to maintain a balance between the real and the virtual world but children may not be able to find a healthy balance between the two. They spend most of their time in front of their screens, scrolling down their Instagram feeds and chatting away with their friends and others on the platform.
Since Instagram is a huge part of the social media frenzy, it has also led to a plethora of problems for children (especially teens,) one of which is getting polluted with online dangers including pedophilia, pornography, and cyberbullying. Children find themselves getting into wrong habits including sexting, sharing inappropriate content with others and interacting with sexual predators on the platforms.
The constant abuse of Instagram may expose teens and youngsters to these social media dangers, leaving them emotionally and psychologically disturbed. According to various health experts, social media dangers are putting children’s mental health and development at a huge risk. The majority of teens are slowly sinking into depression and other mental health disorders due to the overuse of social media apps including Instagram.
Due to the overuse of Instagram and other social media apps, when children are found going through these problems, it has been seen that they are not able to focus on their academics, extra-curricular activities, witnessing a gradual decrease in other social activities as well. Consequently, these mental health problems arising due to the abuse of social media leave them feeling stranded and miserable.
On learning about the change in children’s behavior and attitude, parents should take a strong notice, taking safety measures for them and doing the best that they can in keeping them away from social media apps including Instagram. In fact, they need to take significant steps to overcome parenting challenges in this digital era.
While it may be wrong to force your children to stop using Instagram or snatching the phone away from them, it is better to make them understand about the good and bad side of it. Keep them informed about the consequences of misusing Instagram app and how it can leave a negative impact on their overall personality.
How to Delete Instagram Account – Temporarily and Permanently
Instead of asking children to stop using the photo-sharing app altogether, you can simply ask them to take some break from it by temporarily deactivating it until the time they start understanding how to find a balance between the real and the virtual world.
However, if you feel your child or any other person needs a permanent break from it, then you can always delete Instagram account and never come back on it. We will be discussing both the cases up ahead, teaching you how to delete Instagram account temporarily and how to delete Instagram account permanently.
Delete Instagram Account Temporarily
First things first, let us get to understand how to delete Instagram account on a temporary basis. Basically, temporarily deleting your Instagram account serves as a good solution if you are only looking forward to having a break from it and at the same time do not want to lose your photos.
By deleting your Instagram account temporarily, you can always have the option of coming back again the platform in the future.
Here’s the step-by-step guide on how to delete Instagram account temporarily:
1. You need to log into instagram.com from a computer or mobile browser. Remember, you won’t be able to temporarily disable your Instagram account from the mobile app itself.
2. Open your profile screen and click ‘Edit Profile’ as shown on the top of the page.
3. Here you will come across ‘Temporary disable my account’ option at the end of the page. Click to open it.
4. You can skip step 3 and simply disable your Instagram account temporarily by clicking the link www.instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/temporary/. Here you will come across a message given by Instagram that you can disable your account instead of deleting it. This means your account will be disabled and hidden from everyone until you decide to reactivate it by logging back in. Apart from that, Instagram also notifies that you are allowed to only disable your account once a week.
5. After reading the message, you will be asked to select a reason for disabling your Instagram account temporarily from the drop-down menu as shown on the page.
6. Once selected the reason, you will be required to re-enter your Instagram account password and click ‘Temporarily Disable Account’.
How to Delete Instagram Permanently
Deleting Instagram account permanently is quite different than deleting it temporarily as the former method entails you to permanently delete your Instagram profile, including all the shared photos, videos, likes, comments, and all the followers you have managed to gain so far.
Here is how to delete Instagram account permanently:
1. Since you won’t be able to delete your account from the Instagram mobile app directly, you need to do it from your web browser on your mobile device or desktop computer. Log in to your Instagram account to get started with.
2. After you have logged in to your account, head to the Delete Your Account page.
3. Here you will be asked to choose your reason for deleting your Instagram account permanently from the drop-down menu displayed next to the question, ‘Why are you deleting your account?’
4. Once you have chosen an option to delete Instagram account permanently, you will be prompted to re-enter your Instagram account password in order to confirm that you are ready to delete your Instagram account on a permanent basis.
5. After you are done with choosing a reason and re-entering your password, the option to permanently delete your Instagram account will appear on the screen.
6. As soon as you click ‘Permanently delete my account,’ your Instagram account, along with all of the content you have shared on your account so far (pictures, videos, highlights, followers, likes, comments, etc.) will be deleted permanently.
It is noteworthy to add here that once you have deleted your Instagram account permanently, you cannot sign up again with the same username in case you decide to create another Instagram account sometime later on. Also, Instagram will not reactive the deleted accounts. It can only bring back the ones that have been disabled temporarily.
How to Reactivate Instagram Account
Suppose you have enjoyed a little break from Instagram and now you are ready to join it back, you have the option of reactivated your disabled account. You cannot reactivate an Instagram account that has been permanently deleted.
In order to reactivate your disabled account, all you need to do is log in to your Instagram account again. For this, you need to remember your Instagram username as well as the password. Enter your credentials and start using your Instagram account again.
Once you are back to your Instagram account, you will notice that you have not lost the content you have shared on your feed in the past. All your Instagram pictures, videos, followers, likes, comments, direct messages, etc. will be intact.
We hope we have been able to teach you how to delete Instagram account, both temporarily and permanently and also how to get back on the platform without losing all of your content.