stand apart from all the other candidates while applying for your dream job?
Add a digital portfolio with your resume and cover letter, and it will make
your application as unique as it can be. Moreover, it increases your chances of
getting an interview call. A digital portfolio is an amazing way of showing the
employer your skills and talent. But first, you must know what a digital
portfolio is and how to make one.
What Is a Digital Portfolio?
portfolio is the representation of your skills and abilities in your
professional field. It is a sort of online collection and it must include the
best work you have done so far in your field. The skills you talk about in your
resume are to be shown in the portfolio so that the hiring manager knows that
you are capable of doing the things you mentioned in your resume. Moreover,
having this portfolio online makes it way easy to share and give access to your
Who should Make A Digital Portfolio?
no limit to who can use digital portfolios and who can’t. Students and
professionals around the globe belonging to different professions and skills
use digital portfolios to represent and demonstrate their work and skills
online. Anyone can use a digital portfolio to present their qualification and
work using visuals and making it as clear and attractive as possible. The most
common professionals who use digital portfolios are:
- Graphic Designers
- Makeup Artists
What Should A Digital Portfolio Include?
If you are
up for making an efficient digital portfolio, here are some of the things that
you must include while writing one:
includes a brief description of what work you can do such as what services you
can provide and what is your specialization. This information can also be
included in the ‘About Me’ section of the portfolio.
in the digital portfolio, you must include a link to your resume. This makes it
easier for the employer to have access to different things from one place. Once
they start reading your portfolio, if they want, they can get access to your resume
Statement of Originality
It is wise
and good to add a small paragraph in your portfolio stating that the
information you have included in one hundred percent original, confidential and
belongs to you only. When you are adding this statement, it makes sure that no
one else can use your portfolio or your work.
add this to your ‘About Me’ section where you can talk about the skills you
carry relevant to the field you are representing. For instance, if you are a
writer, you can talk about your research skills, writing patterns, and other
companies look for talent that is open to new goals and career opportunities.
The more you strive to progress, the better you will perform. So, show your
passion and tell them where you want to see yourself in the future and how are
you going to achieve that target.
reading your portfolio, they might want to contact you and it will be a great
loss if they couldn’t just because you haven’t added any contact details. So
make sure you are giving proper contact information while showing your skills
to the employer.
work samples is the most important part of your portfolio. It should be the
bigger part of your portfolio where you add your best work you have done so
far. It may include links, photos, artwork, articles, and other visuals.
You must include all this information in the best structure and in a way that the employer gets your point within minutes.
How to Make A Digital Portfolio That Gets You Hired?
what skills to add and what information is mandatory. To make it much better,
here are some tips to make an amazing digital portfolio:
- Get your hands on search engine optimization (SEO). It increases the chances of people finding your portfolio. Ensure that the portfolio is HTML based so that it becomes easy for the people to see it on any device. Use relevant keywords according to your field in your content and the corresponding URL. You can also add a meta description to your portfolio to make it more optimized.
- When you are a social person, you know people who know people. So, it won’t hurt to add a link to your portfolio on your social media accounts. Nowadays, people use social media more than ever. So, when you publicizing your portfolio on social media, it makes it easy for people to see and share it.
- You must not leave your digital portfolio once you have made it. As you move on with your profession, making new content, doing new work, you must add it to your portfolio. Make it a habit of updating it every few weeks so that it shows your latest works.
- When you are about to buy something, you want to look at the customer reviews first so that you can know how the product is really. So, don’t forget your clients’ reviews in your digital portfolio as it authenticates your work. It also helps in developing trust and credibility.
- Add more visuals than words. Visuals keep the people engaged and embedded in the story. So, add photographs, artwork, whatever you can to make your work engaging and to make people read the whole portfolio.
digital portfolio might seem like a big job but when you are done with it, you
will see the difference in the answers you get from the employers. It makes
your application stand out and be unique.